Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets

Cat update:  Before I begin today's blog, I just want to say that we have not seen or heard anything from the cat the last four nights.  We can only hope he has found his way safely back outside.

Today is a rainy dreary day.  After the weekend's sunshine it seems exceptionally dreary.  It's the kind of day that makes one want to curl up and read a book. Sure doesn't make me feel like doing much of anything, but in spite of the day I did manage to get some things done today.  I had a haircut this morning and on the way home stopped at our local Discount grocers to get some chicken.  Periodically they get a surplus of Perdue chicken.  I especially like the boneless thigh filets and at $1.29 a pound that's a good deal.  And they are vacuum packed in smaller packages - in this case there were 3 filets to a pouch and 4 pouches to a package. I got two packages for less than $10.00. One pouch is enough for the two of us so that is 8 meals!

After I got home and got them into the freezer, I decided it was time to prepare some healthy oatmeal packages.  We like them because it is so much easier than getting out the oatmeal, getting out the dried fruit and other add ins each time we want to do oatmeal.  And they are filled with other heart healthy ingredients like chia seeds and cinnamon.  My hubby likes them because they are much more filling than the packets you buy.

I start by labeling snack size Ziploc bags with the flavor combos I will be making and line them up on the counter.  Into each bag goes:  

  • 1/3 c. oatmeal (I use quick oats) 
  • 1 t. of chia seeds or ground flax
  • 2 t. wheat germ or bran
  • 1-3 t. brown sugar
  • 1/8 t. cinnamon.  
Now I am ready to individualize them and I use about 2 T. dried fruit and 1 T. nuts in each one.  Today I made pineapple coconut (1 t. coconut instead of nuts), cherry almond, mango cashew and  craisin-orange pecan (I add 1 t. dried orange peel to this one.)  I usually make apple walnut and blueberry as well but I was out of dried apples and dried blueberries today.

And here they are.  All finished.  When we are ready to eat them we will dump the contents in a bowl, add 1/2 c. water and cook in the microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.  They taste so good on a cold morning and are quick and easy to prepare.  It's well worth the hour I spend once a month or every six weeks to have them ready.



No comments: