Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Birthday Reflections

Today is my 68th birthday. And while I am not feeling old, birthdays for me are always a time of reflection and anticipation.  Reflection on the past year or years and where I have been and what I have done.  And anticipation of what is ahead and a little bit of goal setting.

We had a great afternoon and evening yesterday celebrating with the family. Hubby made some awesome grilled ribs; the kids all brought side dishes and my son in law Jeff made my favorite pies for dessert - pecan and key lime. Everything was so delicious. Unfortunately, I don't think anybody took any pictures!

But today is my actual birthday. The last year was a good one.  It was the first year of my retirement, of not having to get up and go to work each day.  A time of resting, reading, card crafting, taking care of the house, and enjoying life without the stress and pressures of a job. As I look ahead, I wonder what the coming year will bring. Some days I feel that 68 is old as I am aware of the aches and pains that come with aging; at other times I feel 68 is still young and I have plenty of life to tackle ahead of me.  I struggle with knowing what God wants for me in  the remaining years that He gives me. I continue to look for opportunities to serve Him in whatever way He wants me to. 

For now, I am content to wait on God's timing.  So Happy Birthday to me.  I will enjoy my day.

No comments: