Monday, August 29, 2016

A New School Year

I haven't blogged for quite a while. I am not sure why.  I guess blogging on a daily basis just not pull me like it does many.  But today I decided to write a post.

Today is the first day of school for many children in our area.  For over 45 years I was with those first day students as a teacher or administrator.  Over the weekend someone reminded me that this is the beginning of the second year that I am not going back.  I am often asked if I miss it.  My answer: No.....and yes!

I miss the excitement of a new school year.  Getting ready for that first welcoming day when the students come in with excitement and anticipation. New school supplies, backpacks, books, clothes, and all that goes with the getting ready.  Thinking through and planning lessons and activities that will excite the students and capture their attention. Or as the administrator helping and encouraging the staff to be ready to do that. I miss the smiles and the tears of little ones as they come to school for the first time and I miss encouraging the parents who are dropping off their children for the first time.I miss the children and my coworkers. I miss the smiles, the anticipation, and the energy of children. I miss the joy on a child's face when they learn something new. And especially in the Christian school setting, the joy of a young child coming to tell me that they asked Jesus to be their forever friend!

But I don't miss the stress and anxiety that comes with the beginning of a new school year. Or the work that is involved in preparing lessons on a daily basis or in keeping a school running at its best from day to day.  I don't miss the complaints which are far more frequent than the praises. Why is it that we are so quick to criticize and complain about the little things that happen in school rather than praising the staff for the tremendous job they are doing on a daily basis? I don't miss coming home at the end of the day too exhausted to even think about making dinner, let alone being civil to anyone else for the rest of the day.

I loved the forty-five years that I spent in the education field first as a teacher and then later as the administrator.  It was who I was, what allowed me to express my passion for kids and learning.  But I am content.  Content to leave the work of educating future generations in the hands of those who are younger, with more energy and enthusiasm for the task at hand. I am content to sit back and let others go back to school. I am content in knowing that I fulfilled my calling from God in the field of education and that now is the time to pass the torch to others. And so even though I have mixed feelings about the first day of school, I will enjoy thinking about the past days and pray for those teachers and students who are beginning a new chapter with the onset of another school year. 

No comments: