Friday, January 9, 2009

Tired of Being Sick

Do you know how much I suddenly appreciate the blessings of good health? Probably not, unless you have just experienced a week such as I have. I have unfortunately succumbed to the stomach virus/flu bug that is running rampant in the area and so I have had a miserable week. It started Tuesday morning; here it is Friday afternoon and I really can't say that I am back to health. Tuesday afternoon I was totally wiped out. Laid on the couch watching TV -- actually more sleeping with the TV on than actually watching it. I was trying to watch because if you recall that was the day of the impending ice storm and I had to know what was going on in case I had to call for an early dismissal. (Oh, the "joys" of being the director of a preschool/kindergarten program!) I really couldn't tell you what was on TV since I was in and out of consciousness most of the afternoon and evening. Up by 5 the next morning to again check the weather and see if we needed to have a delay, I realized I was so totally exhausted and still not feeling well. So Day 2 of the illness commenced.

Finally, by early afternoon, I felt I was getting over the stomach and intestinal stuff and actually ate a little soup and did a little work from home. But alas, it wasn't over. By early evening the "cold" symptons set in and I spent several hours sneezing, blowing my nose, coughing - you know the drill. Well, I dragged myself to work yesterday; not sure why, but I did and managed to get a little bit of work done; came home about three and crashed. Got up today, felt a bit better, and went to work until one when I decided it was time to quit, come home, rest up and try to kick this cold.

On the way home, I was thinking about how often I take good health (or at least relatively normal health) for granted. I can get up and go to work without thinking a whole lot about how I feel. I'm looking forward to the return of that feeling and hoping it will be soon -- very, very soon.

No comments: