Sunday, December 21, 2008

Snowy Thoughts

I hate winter, but I do love to see it snow. How's that for a contradiction? What is it about snow that makes us think of all that is pure and good? Watching the snowflakes fall gently and gracefully from the sky is one of life's unexpected simple pleasures in life. That is, of course, is you don't have to be out driving in it or trying to make a decision of whether or not to close school for the day or call for a delay. But being able to sit inside and look out the window and watch the snow falling is beautiful. The unexpected cancellations make it seem like a holiday, better yet a vacation day. Since they are unplanned, it leaves me feeling like I have a free day to do whatever I want. Since I can't do what I had planned, why not just relax and enjoy the day? It is usually a day that I can be lazy and not feel guilty. I can sit and read a book without being concerned with the work around the house that isn't getting done - after all housework was not on my agenda for that day anyway! it's a day for puttering..., playing..., hot chocolate..., etc. Whatever comes to mind. It's a day for relaxing - at least until one has to start shoveling.

Unfortunately, the snow stops falling and life slowly (or quickly sometimes) returns to normal. And then I am reminded that I really don't like winter. The cold and wet and dampness sets in and very quickly the beautiful white of the new fallen snow turns to the dirty slush or mounds along the sidewalks and streets. The beauty is gone and the harsh reality sets in once again. The things that had been planned suddenly need to be done and the demands of life are once again upon us. But the memory lingers on; for that time, no matter how short, that I watched the falling snow, I rejoiced in the beauty of the falling snow. I allowed time to stand still and relaxed to enjoy it. The snow seems like a special gift from God to allow time for me in a busy schedule.

No comments: